Garbage Disposal Repair, Installations & Replacement
Are you getting fed up with your broken garbage disposal? Whatever the problem may be, we at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing can take care of any issues you encounter. Everything from a quick repair to a complete replacement or general maintenance, we know how to get the job done. If you'd like to try and fix your garbage disposal yourself before calling us for assistance, here are a few tips to address the most common garbage disposal problems people encounter.
Why Choose Benjamin Franklin Plumbing?
- Same Day Plumbing Repairs & Service
- Straightforward Pricing
- Plumbers are Background Checked & Drug Tested
- On-Time Service Guarantee
- Clean, Friendly & Respectful
- 24/7 Emergency Plumbing Service
- Licensed and Insured
- Locally Owned & Operated
Garbage Disposal Tips
- Garbage Disposal Doesn't Work The first thing to do when your garbage disposal will not turn on is ensure the unit is getting power. Take a look at the fuse-box to see if there are any issues before proceeding. If power is not the problem, return to the garbage disposal and try to reset the unit by pressing a small red button often found beneath the disposer. If the button refuses to budge, it may be due to overheating of the garbage disposal motor. In some cases your garbage disposal may need to be replaced altogether and you may wish to hire a professional plumbing contractor to do this for best results.
- Garbage Disposal Jams There are a myriad of items that can cause garbage disposals to jam up. If you try to turn on your disposer but all you hear is a low humming noise, it may be due to various materials caught in the motor mechanism that are preventing it from moving. Use a flashlight to check for any utensils or objects that may be hiding in the disposer. The safest way to clear up a clogged disposer is by loosening the masher plate enough to rotate it. Doing this can typically clear up most jams.
- Garbage Disposal Smells Over time, egg shells, cooking grease and soap scum can build up in your garbage disposal, creating a terrible stench. You can often get rid of any unwanted odors by allowing the sink to fill with 3 to 4 inches of hot water. Next, add a small amount of dish soap and let the water drain while simultaneously turning on the garbage disposal.
- Garbage Disposal Leaks If your garbage disposal has started leaking, the first thing to do is locate the source of the problem. Many times leaks from the disposer sink can be fixed by simply replacing the rubber gasket on the drain pipe or by checking all seals to make sure they're completely tight. In some cases a recent DIY installation of a new unit could be to blame and it may be best to have a professional take a look.
- Noisy Garbage Disposal Usually any objects in the disposal unit will find it's way through the drainage system but if you'd like to remove a noisy object yourself, take special care to ensure the garbage disposal is not receiving any power for additional safety. If your garbage disposal is clean but noise continues to be a problem, check any and all screws or bolts that may have started to come loose.
If you're still experiencing issues with your garbage disposal, get in touch with the experts at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for immediate assistance. Don't hesitate to call to get answers to any questions you may have or schedule to have a plumber fix your garbage disposal problem once and for all.
Use Our Limited Time Offer and Save!
Your First Service Call
4219-A Hanover Pike,Manchester, MD 21102 | 410-848-5300
Coupon valid at participating locations only,Not valid for cashback.Residential service only. Can't combined with other offers.Some restrictions apply